Disclaimer: The text below is an advertorial article that was not written by Cryptonews.com journalists.
Using a VPN is legal in democratic countries. Some countries block VPNs, and in authoritarian states, it could even lead to jail time. But is it legal to use a VPN for crypto trading? Here’s our verdict.
VPNs can help secure your crypto trading by securing your data traffic against hackers and hiding your IP address (digital identity). However, the legality of using one for crypto trading depends on the crypto market.
Why do some crypto platforms block VPNs?
- Some crypto markets block VPNs for transparency reasons and require official proof of identity upon registering an account.
- Other crypto markets aren’t licensed in certain countries, so they ban VPNs as they can be used to overcome geographical restrictions and break copyright laws.
Note: Always check the terms of service of the crypto marketplace, as your account could get banned, and you could lose your funds.
Where are VPNs illegal or restricted?
Below is a list of countries where VPNs are illegal or partly illegal.
- Turkey: VPNs are restricted in Turkey and may be blocked, but you can still access some VPN sites from Turkey.
- Russia: Most VPNs are blocked due to the government’s policy on collecting user information and VPNs potentially allowing citizens to access “restricted content.”
- China: Most VPNs are blocked since they could potentially allow Chinese citizens to access government blocked websites like Facebook, YouTube, and Instagram.
- Belarus: VPNs and the Tor network have been illegal since 2015. The volatile political situation in Belarus could mean anyone caught using a VPN could face severe consequences.
- VPNs are completely banned in the UAE, Oman, Iraq, Turkmenistan, and North Korea. Click here for more depth into legal issues around using VPNs.
Note: Although it is legal to use a VPN in democratic countries, it is still against the law to use it for illegal activities, like downloading copyrighted content.
How to choose a safe VPN for crypto
The right VPN will give you an extra layer of privacy and security. Look out for the following features if you want the safest VPN for crypto trading.
1. Double VPN
VPNs work by routing your traffic through encrypted, independently owned servers. A Double VPN feature routes your traffic through two encrypted servers for twice the protection.
2. Obfuscated servers
Some VPNs let you connect to obfuscated servers. They hide the fact that you’re using a VPN, allowing you to bypass VPN restrictions in certain countries.
3. A no-logs policy
Some VPN companies advertise a no-logs policy for user privacy. This means that they refuse to store or share any user data, like bandwidth usage and connection timestamps.
Some VPN companies provide proof of their no-logs policy by using a reputable, independent auditor like PricewaterhouseCoopers.
4. IP and DNS protection
Make sure that the VPN doesn’t leak any information that can identify users, like IP addresses and DNS (Domain Name Server). To test for IP and DNS leaks, visit IPv6-test.com and dnsleaktest.com with the VPN on.
5. Customer support
24/7 chat support is important if you ever experience any surprise technical issues — especially when VPN users are all around the world, in different time zones.
6. Kill Switch
Great for your peace of mind. A VPN kill switch will instantly disconnect all of your devices from the internet if your VPN ever fails. This prevents your IP address from accidentally being leaked.
Why NordVPN is our first choice for crypto trading
NordVPN has all of the above features and more, giving users the best protection and making it clear why it’s the world’s #1 VPN.
NordVPN bypasses geographical restrictions
With speciality servers like Onion over VPN, Double VPN, P2P, and obfuscated servers – you’ll have no problem with VPN restrictions in other countries.
It’s super-secure AND fast
Most VPNs have had to sacrifice speed for security, but NordVPN has invented and runs on its own protocol; NordLynx. Based on the featherweight Wire-Guard protocol, NordLynx takes speed to a whole new level while giving you the security that NordVPN is famous for.
It works anywhere in the world
With 5200+ servers in 60 countries, users are given top speeds and access to content from almost anywhere in the world.
It’s really easy to use
You can get the NordVPN app for Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, and Android TV. You can also use the NordVPN browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox, or you can configure NordVPN on your router to secure every device in your home.
What’s even better is that you can use one NordVPN account on up to 6 devices at no extra cost.
It takes privacy and security VERY seriously
NordVPN has been audited by PricewaterhouseCoopers twice. It also enforces a no-logs policy that ensures user confidentiality. As an added bonus, NordVPN includes the CyberSec feature, which warns users of malicious websites known for hosting malware and phishing scams.
NordVPN is also a continuously updated service, so updates are rolled out every few months, keeping the apps at the forefront of cybersecurity.